A Fire Safety Checklist for Your Household
It is important for any household to practice fire safety as a regular part of their routine. House fires can be both devastating and dangerous, and on average, those in the household will have less than three minutes to escape should a fire begin.
Fortunately, by being vigilant about the prevention of house fires, you can reduce the likelihood of you ever having to experience one. While there is no way to completely eradicate your risk, there are plenty of steps you can take to make your home less susceptible to accidental fires breaking out.
A Checklist for Household Fire Safety
Practicing fire safety is a great way to reduce your risk of experiencing a fire at your home. By referencing this simple checklist, you can be sure you are taking necessary precautions to keep your household safe.
* Ensure that you have smoke alarms on each level of the home and in every sleeping area.
* Test smoke alarms each month and replace batteries as needed.
* Note the install date for all alarms and replace after 10 years, even if they are still operational.
* Be sure to never leave the stove or oven on unattended.
* Keep flammable items, such as towels and wooden utensils, three feet from the stove.
* Store a fire extinguisher prominently in the kitchen.
* Understand the difference between grease fires and other types of fires, and know the methods for extinguishing each.
* Be sure your household has a fire escape plan that you practice at least twice per year.
* Ensure that every area of your home has at least two exits.
* Store any flammable chemicals in accordance with their label recommendations.
* Keep matches, lighters and other flammable objects away from young children.
* Do not leave candles lit if they are unattended.
* Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from candles, space heaters or other sources of heat.
* Never overload electrical outlets or extension cords.
* Replace any frayed cords or wires immediately.
* Plug appliances and any heat-generating items directly into the wall, not into extension cords.
* If wall outlets ever feel warm to the touch, stop using them immediately and call an electrician.
*If you have damage from a fire, you can count on us to help. We are here 24/7 for restoration—contact us today to learn more about our processes.*