Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
After any fire damage situation, our primary focus at SERVPRO of Gordon, Murray, & South Whitfield Counties is safety for you & your family. It can be easy to feel that you need to do something, anything to begin the cleaning and restoration process. However, it is very easy to do more damage than good even when you have the best of intentions. Further damage could be inadvertently caused meaning the difference between restoration or replacement. Here are a few questions to ask yourself & tips on what to do after a fire.
- Is it safe to stay in the home or business?
- Stay clear of Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Smoke damaged items can be contaminated & dangerous
- Do not enter the structure without the proper Personal Protective Equipment.
- Do not enter the structure until you meet with the Fire Official in charge.
- Do not wipe or attempt to wash fire residue from walls, ceilings, contents, or other absorbent surfaces without professional assistance.
- Do not use food items or canned goods exposed to heat.
- Do not use any electrical fixtures, switches, or outlets.
- Do contact your insurance company
- Do call SERVPRO of Gordon, Murray, & South Whitfield Counties
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (706) 278-7378
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.